Monday, January 10, 2011

My Award Winnin' Daughter

Izabella loves taking pictures with my camera. So much in fact, that I gave her my old one so she would stop messing around with mine.

When we heard that her school PTA was hosting a contest that included a photography division Iz enthusiastically requested that she participate.

The theme for the contest was "Together We Can." I asked Iz to pay attention to what groups of people do together that they couldn't do on their own.

Her response was "together we can.... apple pie filling." Isn't it so like a Kindergartner to take it so literally?!

She took a bunch of pictures of the neighbors and us picking apples from their orchard, us goofing around, canning apple pie filling, the finished product, and a few pics of us pigging out. I haven't downloaded the pics to this computer, but here's a link to walgreens photo where you can see the pics.

We took all of the pics and made a cute little collage poster that Izabella selected. It was really cute.

A few days ago I got an email message from our school's PTA President that Izabella won the first place award for Primary Photography Division! I think she was the only Kindergartner who entered, but hey winning is winning =)

She was so proud of her little self when they called her name at the little award ceremony. They mispronounced our last name, and she gladly corrected them. There were several people that made little aw cute comments when they saw how tiny she was compared to the high schoolers that won the awards right before her.



I didn't think that she would brave enough to go by herself across the podium, but she did great.

They were kind enough to give her a nice certificate, a ribbon, and a neat gift certificate to craft warehouse.

Now her photo collage is moving on from the regional contest to the state competition. Wish us luck!

If she doesn't get any further at least we had fun and I got some yummy apple pie filling out of it all.

3 comments:

SeattleAndrew said...

Good for Izabella for doing such a great job on those pictures! I think the way she handled the theme "together we can" is pretty ingenious. As for the Walgreen's pictures... they require you to have a walgreen's account to view them. I'm in no hurry to create one so I'll wait until you officially post them.

Janna said...

I love the skipping back to her seat afterward!!

Danielle said...

Believe it or not, for some reason I have a Walgreens account. I'm not sure why. But, I was able to see the pictures! Izabella did a great job - tell her Congratulations! And can I borrow her? It seems like I never take pictures these days.